NAMI Family Support Group is a peer-led support group for any adult with a loved one who has experienced symptoms of a mental health condition. Gain insight from the challenges and successes of others facing similar experiences.
NAMI’s support groups are unique because they follow a structured model, ensuring everyone has an opportunity to be heard and to get what they need.
- Free of cost to participants
- Designed for adult loved ones of people with mental health conditions
- Led by family members of people with mental health conditions
- 60-90 minutes long and meets weekly, every other week or monthly (varies by location)
- No specific medical therapy or treatment is endorsed
NAMI is pleased to announce NAMI Hearts+Minds, a program that educates and empowers individuals to better manage their health, mentally and physically.
The need to focus on mental and physical health simultaneously has never been more important. People with mental illness have significantly higher rates of obesity, cardiovascular disease and metabolic disease. These conditions worsen health and reduce lifespans.
Originally available between 2010 and 2014 as an informational presentation, the new version includes a dedicated website featuring information and wellness resources accessible to anyone at any time. This website is also available in Spanish as Corazones+Mentes.
NAMI Family & Friends is a free 90-minute or four-hour seminar that informs people who have loved ones with a mental health condition how to best support them. It’s also an opportunity to meet other people in similar situations and gain community support.
What You’ll Learn
The seminar is led by trained people with lived experience of supporting a family member with a mental health condition. They will walk you through the following topics.
- Understanding diagnoses, treatment and recovery
- Effective communication strategies
- The importance of self-care
- Crisis preparation strategies
- NAMI and community resources