NAMI provides advocacy, education, support and public awareness so that all individuals and families affected by mental illness can build better lives.
- Hope: We believe in the possibility of recovery, wellness and the potential in all of us.
- Inclusion: We embrace diverse backgrounds, cultures and perspectives.
- Empowerment: We promote confidence, self-efficacy and service to our mission.
- Compassion: We practice respect, kindness and empathy.
- Fairness: We fight for equity and justice
Who We Are:
- NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- What started as a small group of families gathered around a kitchen table in 1979 has blossomed into the nation’s leading voice on mental health. Today, we are an alliance of more than 600 local Affiliates and 48 State Organizations who work in your community to raise awareness and provide support and education that was not previously available to those in need.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At NAMI, we believe a diverse, inclusive and equitable organization (or Alliance) is one where all employees, volunteers and members — regardless of gender, race, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, veteran status or other dimension of diversity — feel valued and respected
Ways NAMI Helps others:
NAMI offers mental health education and outreach programs serving families, individuals and educators, nationally and through the local community. Your local NAMI Affiliate or NAMI State Organization can help you register for NAMI programs or find resources in your community. NAMI groups and courses are free to join, and membership is not required to attend.
NAMI advocates at the Federal and State and local levels to shape public policy for people living with mental health conditions. (We do not offer individual advocacy services.)
NAMI sponsors public awareness events and activities, including Mental Health Month and NAMIWalks, to successfully fight Stigma and encourage understanding.
What we do:
We educate. Offered in thousands of communities across the United States through NAMI State Organizations and NAMI Affiliates, our education programs ensure hundreds of thousands of families, individuals and educators get the support and information they need.
We advocate. NAMI shapes national public policy for people with mental illness and their families and provides volunteer leaders with the tools, resources and skills necessary to save mental health in all states.
We listen. Our toll-free NAMI HelpLine allows us to respond personally to hundreds of thousands of requests each year, providing free information and support—a much-needed lifeline for many.
We lead. Public awareness events and activities, including Mental Illness Awareness Week and NAMIWalks, successfully fight stigma and encourage understanding. NAMI works with reporters on a daily basis to make sure our country understands how important mental health is.
NAMI relies on gifts and contributions to support our important work.
Support NAMI Missoula. Our Areas Voice on Mental Illness.
When you make a financial contribution to NAMI, you help us make that tomorrow a reality. You help ensure that no individual or family is alone on their mental health journey. You help provide a national network of support and resources, both online and in communities across the country.
NAMI 2020-2025 Strategic Plan: A Bridge Between Our Rich History And Future Opportunities
For 40 years, NAMI has been a beacon of help and hope, fighting for more research, better education, bolder advocacy, and broader public awareness.
Today, as we enter our fifth decade, the NAMI 2020-2025 Strategic Plan holds fast to these commitments—it is a bridge between our rich history and future opportunities, building on the progress we have achieved over the last four decades and focusing that momentum towards intentional goals to accelerate the mental health movement and maximize our impact